Housing the Unhoused - "Housing First" philosophy: the need to find supportive shelter, food, clothing and other essentials is a year 'round activity. It is most acute in the winter, but hot summer days, weeks where rain is continuous and other such weather calamities all impact the day-to-day struggles of people who do not have homes. Therefore, we continue to work on these concerns all year 'round.
- HomeShare program by LifePath;
- Affordable & Market-rate Housing - Build more; keep people in their homes:
- Regional Affordable Housing Trust idea (FRCOG) – would be government program;
- Community Land Trust (FCCLT) – is privately organized by residents;
- Transfer Fee – working with Sen Comerford on Bill.
- This "enabling" legislation would allow Massachusetts cities, towns and groups of cities/towns to enact a small fee on high-value real estate sales. The fee would go to funds designated to create and support affordable housing.
- This "enabling" legislation would let cities and towns adopt a preservation, anti-displacement and tenant empowerment tool that can preserve affordable rental housing stock, provide a mechanism for tenant associations to collectively purchase their buildings, and stabilize low-income households.
- Home Equity Theft
- If there is a tax taking of a property, don't let government keep proceeds in excess of what they are owed;
- Educate about existing programs to help prevent tax taking in the first place.
- Other projects we're watching
- Former Center Street School on Abercrombie Street. – several possible market rate units
- Unused upper-story space on Main St – Complete Neighborhoods;
- Hope Street current temporary Fire Station, former parking lot, future...?
- Improving Housing to Improve Health (IH2)- a 5-year grant program with FRCOG
- Rental Housing Inspection Goals for Renter protection – Peg Hall
- Gentrification – Avoid it.
- Reports, which are received from many organizations and people who regularly participate, including (in alphabetical order):
- Clinical Support Options - Keleigh BenEzra
- Community Land Trust - Judy Atkins
- Greenfield Community and Economic Development – Anna Oltman
- Interfaith Council Housing Assistance – Amy Clarke
- Opioid Task Force – Sober Housing etc. - Debra McLaughlin
- Rural Development, Inc - Alyssa LaRose
- Three County Continuum of Care - Shaundell Diaz
PROGRESS IN GREENFIELD WE ARE CELEBRATING
- Wilson’s department store will become housing! (sold 2022)
- Community Builders - three upper stories to be renovated into 65 efficiency, 1, 2, and 3-bedroom apartments as workforce housing, projected completion date: 2026.
- Green Fields Market – 1st floor and basement so that the full-service grocery store will remain on Main St. New store targeted to open late in 2024.
- 60 Wells Street: A project of CSO (owner and manager) and RDI (developer) who propose:
- Increasing shelter beds from 30 to 40;
- Building 36 new, supported, efficiency apartments;
- Building a day-use facility with a cafeteria, showers, laundry, and an outside courtyard area with benches and trees.
Funding is secured; permits have been obtained; this project is a GO! Community Support Options is now the owner of the building and the operator of the shelter.
- 300 Conway Street: A project of Greenfield Housing Authority
- 5 new 2-bedroom apartments, one fully accessible, and the others visitable-accessible;
- All to be available to residents with low-income.
*ORGANIZATIONS, ABBREVIATIONS, INITIALIZATIONS & LINKS
CAPV: Community Action Pioneer Valley
CHAMP: Common Housing Application for Massachusetts Programs (but best to start with HRA)
CHAPA: Citizens Housing and Planning Association
CHIP: Community Health Improvement Plan Network – a program of FRCOG
CNI: Complete Neighborhoods Initiative – a program of MHP
COC: Continuum of Care, Three County – a program of CAPV
Community Builders, The
Community Legal Aid: anti-housing-discrimination, eviction services and more
CSO: Clinical & Support Options
DHCD: MA Department of Housing and Community Development (but best to start with HRA)
FCCLT: Franklin County Community Land Trust
FCCPR: Franklin County Continuing the Political Revolution
Franklin County Regional Housing Authority – see HRA
FRCOG: Franklin County Regional Council of Governments
GG: Greening Greenfield – convenor of Housing Greenfield, and more
Green Fields Market: Franklin Community Co-op
Greenfield Community and Economic Development
Greenfield Housing Authority
HomeShare – a program of Lifepath
HRA: Franklin County Regional Housing and Redevelopment Authority
IH2: Improving Housing to Improve Health – a program of FRCOG & others
Interfaith Council of Franklin County Massachusetts Housing Assistance
LifePath runs Homeshare Program
MHC: Massachusetts Housing Coalition
MHP: Massachusetts Housing Partnership
Opioid Task Force and its Housing and Workforce Development Committee
RAFT: Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (but best to start with HRA)
RDI: Rural Development, Inc.
Regional Housing Authority – see HRA
Small Town Housing Workgroup an IH2 project
Three County COC – see COC
TOPA: Tenant Opportunity to Purchase Act
with a brief description of what you need, and we'll try to point you in the right direction. Greening Greenfield itself does not provide housing services.